In 1979, a study was conducted on graduating MBA students from the Harvard School of business. One of the interesting findings was that only 3% of the graduating class created and maintained a written list of goals. A decade later, a follow-up survey was conduct on that same class which clearly illustrated the incredible impact that goal setting has on performance. It was found that the 3% of students who had made a habit of clearly defining their goals and writing them down out-performed the other 97% of students financially by a factor of 10. Combined!
If you’re already one of the few who understands the impact that goal setting has on performance, fantastic! But to really take advantage of the power that laser-like focus on these goals can have, you need to be S.M.A.R.T.
SPECIFIC – Goals should be well-defined. Your description of your goals should be so clear, that anybody else reading them would immediately understand your objective without any further explanation.
MEASURABLE – You must be able to quantify your objectives so that you can measure your performance against them. It is not enough to say, “I want to be wealthy,” or “I want to be slim,” or “I want to donate to charity.” You need to define precisely what your target is. For example, “I want to earn $100,000 per year,” or “I want to lose 25 lbs,” or “I want to donate $1,000 to charity.”
ATTAINABLE – Your goals should cause you to stretch your boundaries and push you to achieve more than you ever have, but you don’t want them to be so far outside of the box that you don’t even believe that you could accomplish them. You need to base your goals on what you believe your capable of achieving if you were performing at your absolute best.
RELEVANT – Your goals must be congruent with your core values and other roles and responsibilities. Be certain that your goals, and the daily actions they require, are in alignment with the other areas of your life. If they’re not, you need to make some adjustments.
TIME SENSITIVE – You must think and act with a sense of urgency. Deadlines create a sense of pressure that can help you increase your tempo and create momentum. Daily deadlines will help to keep you on track.
Dale Horton is a husband to a beautiful wife, a father to two amazing children, and has a passion for coaching home-based entrepreneurs. For more articles on the factors most critical to MLM business success, go to DaleHorton.TV.